My morning routine is to roll out of bed, decide if I am going to go for a run or go to the gym. Once that decision is made I can then select my appropriate warrior costume. This particular morning I chose my gym warrior costume. I arrived at the usual 4:15 am and began my strength training routine. I trained a little longer than usual. The gym manager comes in at 5 and begins her routine of housekeeping chores. She was emptying the trash and sprayed each can with a three second blast of Lysol. I happened to be lying on a bench doing Abs next to a garbage can that she sprayed. I inadvertently took in a big breath at the same time. What happened next took me be surprise. I began coughing uncontrollably and my throat felt like it was on fire. It was so bad that I had to leave immediately. When I tried to express what happened, I couldn’t speak. I was able to mouth a few words to her indicating that it wasn’t a good idea to spray the Lysol when members were working out. Her response, “It was just Lysol!”.
Upon my arrival home, I started my research to discover which chemical was responsible for my attack. The only pharmaceutical I’m allergic to are sulfa drugs, I think I had hives as my reaction when I was a munchkin. I don’t take any prescription or OTC drugs (a boat load of whole food supplementation, though). First place I looked was the Environmental Working Group (EWG), found the product and my suspicions were confirmed. The score for Lysol Disinfectant spray….. a big, fat “F”! These are the chemicals that caused the respiratory effect
I experienced: Mipa-Borate (developmental/endocrine/reproductive effects), Ammonium Hydroxide (respiratory effects & damage to vision, skin irritation, allergies), Ethanolamine (respiratory effects, general systemic/organ effects, nervous system effects, skin irritation), Fragrance (skin irritation, allergies, nervous system , respiratory effects), and Myristalkonium Saccharinate (moderate respiratory effects). You don’t have to be Sheldon Cooper to know that these chemicals are not good for us.
One Degree of Change #32: Use all natural cleaning products!
While doing my research (to write a blog I spend a minimum of 6-8 hours just in research), I put together a list of the Top Five Most Toxic Household Cleaners:
- Lysol Disinfectant Sprays
- Mr. Clean Multi-Surface Spray Cleaner
- Wal***t Great Value All Purpose Cleaner with Bleach
- Green Works “Natural” Cleaning Wipes
- Tr***r Joe’s Next to Godliness Multi Purpose Cleaner
So what are you supposed to use to keep your home clean and tidy? I have several products that I researched and love. Here are my Top Five Choices for Cleaning Alternatives:
1. I Love Tangie Natural Cleaning Products : She is the Diva of being green. She has products for the floor and for the laundry. She is passionate about the earth and promotes the protection of our environment. Click here to order!
4. Greenshield Organic’s All Purpose Cleaner: Made with USDA Certified Organic ingredients and bottled using sustainable, recyclable, sugar cane. This cleaner is great on dirt, grease and grime without leaving a sticky residue. Click here to order!
5. DIY!: You can do this, just make your own. Here’s a simple recipe to make your own at home: Here’s what you need: an empty spray bottle, 2 cups of filtered or spring water, 1 cup of organic distilled white vinegar and 20+ drops of your favorite essential oil (be creative, combine lemon and basil, or rosemary and thyme or lavender). Mix together and pour into the spray bottle! Wholla! You have made your own organic all purpose cleaner!
It’s not difficult to be more conscious of your environment. In turn your own health is protected. Your liver, lungs, and nervous/endocrine systems will thank you. Another reason we do the Standard Process Purification Program twice a year! We are making changes in our own home and businesses.
One Degree of Change at a time!
Make your own cleaner today!